Report on the 2012-2013 Activities and Presentation of the New Committee
Jean-Claude Gouache gave the floor to Gerrit Jan Bossen, President since January 2012, who gave the following report:
Gerrit Jan, after mentioning the minor incident concerning the mailing of the election papers, recalled the composition of the 2013 GAC-EPA Committee: 21 elected members and 1 invited member, an informatics expert.
Ten candidates stood for election: 7 outgoing members and 3 new candidates. Only one outgoing member did not stand for re-election, Jean-Claude Vialis, whom the President thanked on behalf of the whole Committee for his investissement wholehearted investment during 2 successive mandates over 4 years.
|VITASSE||Michel||Outgoing candidate re-elected||581||95%|
|GOUACHE||Jean-Claude||Outgoing candidate re-elected||564||92%|
|BABOULAZ||Michel||Outgoing candidate re-elected||548||89%|
|BARTHELEMY||René||Outgoing candidate re-elected||499||81%|
|GHINET||François||Outgoing candidate re-elected||496||81%|
|SEIS||Irene||Newly elected candidate||489||80%|
|DANESIN||Mario||Outgoing candidate re-elected||466||76%|
|VANDONI||Carlo||Outgoing candidate re-elected||417||68%|
|RADERMACHER||Ernst||New candidate not elected||287||47%|
|DALP||Pierre||New candidate not elected||270||44%|
NB: The detailed composition of the 2013 Committee, and the assignment of duties along with the results of the 2012 elections are given in the Spring bulletin.
Gerrit Jan continued with a brief comment on each function of the Committee:
Executive - Presidency
firstname.lastname@example.org (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
No change in the Presidency or Vice-Presidency for 2013.
Gerrit Jan BOSSEN remains as President until the end of 2013, André John NAUDI as Vice-President until the end of 2013, and Jean-Claude GOUACHE remains as Vice- President until the end of 2014.
Executive - Treasury & List of Members
email@example.com (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
No change here either: Monique HÄUSERMANN, treasurer until the end of 2013 and Eddie ROEBUCK, assistant treasurer until the end of 2013, manage the budget, expenses, membership fees and the list of members. They try to keep the membership list up to date (with help from the Pension Fund and the Mail Office). They would also like to have your e-mail address, for communication purposes.
Gerrit Jan mentioned the necessity for an increase in membership fees since a large increase in printing expenses in 2012 has led to a deficit.
Executive - Secretariat & Translations
firstname.lastname@example.org (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
Mario DANESIN, (who is probably watching the webcast), was re-elected and continues with the secretariat for another two years. He is helped by Françoise THEVENET elected until the end of 2013. Even if the work of the secretariat is not the most visible, it is essential for the Committee for the organization of meetings and the Minutes, for the organization of elections and the vote counting, amongst other things. All documents for the members are published in French and English. We manage to publish all the documents in both languages thanks to our devoted translators whom we warmly thank; we have been able to recruit two new tranlators recently (Susan Leech O'Neale and William Blair).
Executive - ESO
email@example.com (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
Martin CULLUM remains the representative of ESO pensioners until the end of 2013.
In the absence of Martin, Gerrit Jan gave some information in English on his behalf about ESO pensioners who are members of GAC-EPA.
- The recognition of GAC-EPA as the representative of the pensioners by the ESO Management has allowed them to obtain an access card to the ESO sites and to be represented in the ESO Health Insurance working group.
- The recognition by the ESO Staff Association of its pensioners and their implication in the future revision of Staff Rules (the previous version had no mention whatsoever of pensioners). The new Rules should come into force in the Autumn.
- ESO Management recently agreed to host a GAC-EPA website devoted to ESO pensioners; a volunteer is available to act as webmaster. The site could come into service in the next 2 to 3 months.
Contacts with the Staff Associations
In order to defend the interests of pensioners, members of the Committee cooperate closely in the work of the CERN Staff Association:
- Commissions on Health Insurance, Pensions, and Pensions Guarantees
- Legal and Hygiene & Safety Commissions
Nine members of our Committee attend the Staff Council of the Staff Association with the right to vote if the subject concerns the interests of pensioners.
At ESO, Martin CULLUM is in direct contact with the executive of the ESO SA.
firstname.lastname@example.org (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
François WITTGENSTEIN is a member of the Pension Fund Governing Board (PFGB) until 4 April 2013.
Claude GENIER is the designated successor to the post of member of the Pension Fund Governing Board (PFGB); he takes up his functions on 5 April 2013.
- The GAC-EPA is actively involved in the governance of the Pension Fund; we have a voting member in the Governing Board
- Reminder: in December 2011the Committee named a designated successor to our representative so that he could be ready to succeed him
- The concept of ‘designated successor’ was accepted by the PFGB (and the Member States) in its internal rules
- In addition, Gerrit Jan has met twice with Professor Riska, President of the PFGB; two letters have also been exchanged.
Results: the CERN internal audit is more implicated in the affairs of the PF; the President of the PFGB and the CEO of the PF have a better understanding of our request for transparency.
email@example.com (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
We have 7 representatives on the Pensions Commission who prepare and analyse documents and discussions:
François WITTGENSTEIN, André John NAUDI, Claude GENIER, elected until the end of 2013; Jean-Claude GOUACHE, François GHINET, Michel VITASSE, elected until the end of 2014; and Irene SEIS newly elected for 2 years.
firstname.lastname@example.org (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
Michel VITASSE is our delegate to the working group on pensions guarantees.
Carlo-Enrico VANDONI is the deputy delegate to the working group on pensions guarantees.
They are both elected until the end of 2014.
4/ 26" 2013-05-20
Last year, and for many years previously, Edith Deluermoz indicated that this working group had been dormant, we shall see later that it seems to be coming out of hibernation. Let us hope that this is not temporary.
CERN Health Insurance Scheme (CHIS)
email@example.com (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
Michel BABOULAZ and David JACOBS are our 2 delegates to the CERN Health Insurance Scheme (CHIS Board): the financial situation is satisfactory after measures were taken, the governance and functioning of the Scheme could change after the internal audit undertaken in 2011. We must take care that the Rules of the Scheme which are being revised are not unfavourable to the insured.
David JACOBS and Michel BABOULAZ are our representatives on the Social Security Commission. They are helped by other members of the Committee where necessary.
Jean-Claude GOUACHE is our representative on the Legal Commission where the revision of various circulars that concern us is discussed, such as access to the site, using the flags carpark, etc. The revision of the Staff Association statutes is also discussed in this Commission.
Safety and Hygiene Commission
Jean-François MICHAUD is our new representative on the Safety and Hygiene Commission. He replaced Carlo VANDONI at the beginning of 2013. There is not much activity in this Commission.
Mutual Aid Fund
Gunilla SANTIARD is our representative on the Mutual Aid Fund which gives financial assistance to active and retired members who find themselves in temporary difficulties. Gunilla Santiard replaces Jean-Claude Vialis.
GAC-EPAʼs own activities
firstname.lastname@example.org (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
Gunilla SANTIARD as the responsible person, René BARTHÉLEMY and Jean- François MICHAUD as representatives run the Information Sessions.
- Our monthly Information Sessions are regularly used by members who are confronted by a variety of problems in daily life. We try to solve these problems or point the people to the relevant CERN or external services who can help them.
- Major subject: French taxes.
Liaison with CERN
Liaison with CERN services is assured by Carlo-Enrico VANDONI, person responsible and his deputy Jean-François MICHAUD. We shall see how well this liaison works on the Open Days in September.
Liaison with the CERN Medical Service
After the death of Jean-Paul DISS, François WITTGENSTEIN has taken over the function of liaison with the CERN Medical Service and the Geneva University Hospitals (HUG) (study on brain ageing, internal activities of the HUG in 2012, the relevant persons will be recontacted this year).
The GAC-EPA has many means at its disposal to communicate and exchange information with its members:
- Documents published in the 2 official languages of CERN (French + English) on paper and electronically
- The GAC Bulletin
- The CERN Staff Association’s Echo
- The website www.gac-epa.org
- (Newsletter): being discussed in the Committee
- (Forum): being discussed in the Committee.
Bernard DUCRET replaced Jean-Marie THOMAS as editor of the Bulletin, Jean-Marie is now his assistant.
We will now produce 2 Bulletins per year, as well as some new sections (forum, a word from pensioners). USE THEM.
The next Bulletin will be in May and will be distributed along with the Minutes of the OGA.
Responsible David JACOBS, assisted by Gunilla SANTIARD. Our addresses:
- email@example.com (email)
- c/o SA CERN (paper) ATTENTION: looked at on a regular basis, but not daily
- You will receive a reply or be directed to the competent person.
firstname.lastname@example.org (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
Internet presence: Robert CAILLIAU, resident expert
- Website for you + website for the Committee
- Continuous update (computer hosting, technical evolution, President’s requests)
- New version with Françoise Thévenet
- Membership list and programming with André Bogaerts.
Social & Cultural Activities
email@example.com (adress no longer in use/adresse plus en service)
- Gunilla Santiard replaces Jean-Claude Vialis
- Organization of the end of year drink appreciated (no meeting before) and the drink after the OGA.
(back to top of page)